Book Club 2022 - Monthly Books

Hi all!

A very Happy New Year and welcome to 2022! As I mentioned last year in this post in 2022 I’m going to be running TWO different book clubs for any member of the community to join in!

You may decide that as a 2022 resolution you want to read some more and so below is the first of the book clubs which is a list of 12 books (1 for each month) that you can choose to read alongside us and discuss if you would like to or just enjoy in your own free time!
We’ll be discussing each monthly book in its own conversational chat on the last working day of every month and it’s completely up to you whether you want to join in for all 12 months or just a couple here and there! I hope you like the below picks and I look forward to our first discussion on Monday 31 January 2022, starting with the wonderfully lovely Away with the Penguins by Hazel Prior!

January: Away with the Penguins - Hazel Prior
February: A Pho Love Story - Loan Le
March: Kim Ji-young, Born 1982 - Cho Nam-ju
April - Where The Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
May: The Paper Palace - Miranda Cowley Heller
June: The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin
July: MAUS - Art Spiegelman
August: The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
September: Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone - J.K. Rowling
October: Grimm Fairy Tales - Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm
November: The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
December: Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

8 Likes

@samirahales great idea! I’ll definitely be there for the monthly one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Such a good idea! I’ll join in periodically :books:

1 Like

Yay! I’m so glad you’re joining in! Look forward to the end of January and your thoughts on Away With The Penguins! :penguin:

Absolutely @Rosanna! Whenever you want to/when a book takes your fancy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@samirahales some of these I haven’t even heard of which is super and a great point about a BG - thanks for the intro to those!

1 Like

This is such a great idea @samirahales ! I’ll be joining the monthly group for sure (and substituting a few from the weekly list as I’ve read a couple of the monthly picks already). Love how diverse this list looks!

1 Like

happy to help Tessa! :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy them!

Absolutely feel free Sophie! I can’t wait to hear what you think! :heartpulse:

I’ve just downloaded Away with the Penguins so I am READY for January :slight_smile:

(Despite telling myself I wouldn’t be buying any more books this month. Oh well)

1 Like

How exciting!! It’s a great, Winter read and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

(I think you need to set aside a nice little book budget…)

I love this idea @samirahales! I’ll try to join every month, and I look forward to it.

For anyone who is worried their book buying habits are at risk of spiralling out of control (i.e. @megan.tripp :upside_down_face:), I’ve just found the first book in e-book form on my library’s app, completely free to borrow. (My library uses an app called ‘BorrowBox’ but it may vary depending on your library).

4 Likes

Thanks for this Sophie! I didn’t know about BorrowBox but I will definitely be looking into it as it sounds and looks great! (Fingers crossed Salford like to use it…)

1 Like

Borrowbox is great! I used it a bit when I was a member of Manchester libraries, I’m in Salford now and not sure they are on it…but will investigate, thanks for the reminder

1 Like

This is a really great idea. The problem I have is I have a stack of books on my list that I’m not reading already, but I like the idea of the book club. Maybe, I can join later on in the year. For example, I have never read Harry Potter (gasp!) so that might be an opportunity.

Are they all fiction?

They do! I checked yesterday - you just need to download the app and enter your library card number :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Join in for whatever books take your fancy! Happy to welcome anyone at any time :slight_smile: especially if you haven’t ready Harry Potter!

June and July are both non fiction! The rest are all fiction, yes. However, I plan on rectifying that for 2023 if this one is a success!

This sounds great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Feel free to join in - we’d love to have you!

Thank you for this, I’ve been searching Ebay for ‘lowest p and p’ and buying. :rofl:

1 Like