Book Club 2022 Monthly Club - February

Good morning everyone!

A very warm welcome to our second monthly discussion! I hope you’ve had a nice February! :slight_smile:

Our second book this year is A Pho Love Story by Loan Le. I hope you’ve all enjoyed getting into the romantic spirit with this one and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts! Below, are the usual 8 questions so feel free to let rip! :slight_smile:

1. What was your favourite part of the book?
  2. What was your least favourite?
  3. What did you think of the writing? Are there any standout sentences?
  4. Did reading the book impact your mood? If yes, how so?
  5. What surprised you most about the book?
  6. How did your opinion of the book change as you read it?
  7. How does the book’s title work in relation to the book’s contents? If you could give the book a new title, what would it be?
  8. How did it impact you? Do you think you’ll remember it in a few months or years?

As always, l I would ask is please be mindful and respectful of everyone’s opinions, we’re here to have fun, (hopefully) enjoy each book and make some friends along the way!

See you next month for our 3rd book of the year which is Kim Ji-young, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-ju. The discussion will take go live here on the Community on Monday 28 March 2022 at 10am. If this book isn’t your taste or perhaps you’d like an alternative, read for March, please do check out the weekly list and give your opinions on the week the discussion becomes available!

This was such a sweet book! I loved the innocent (but not sickly) romance of Bao and Linh.

The best part for me was how well-described and immersive the depiction of Vietnamese culture was throughout the book, and I always love a book with a reveal of a good family saga back-story!

The writing was fairly simple, which makes it a good choice for a teenager, though also perfectly enjoyable for an adult! It switched effectively from one first-person narrator to the other, and it was somehow really comforting to read both sides of the love story.

The only part that I didn’t really like was the lack of translation of some of the Vietnamese phrases in the book (at least in the kindle version I was reading) which was frequent enough to be a little frustrating.

Overall though it was a pretty calming, comforting book to lose yourself in for a few hours, with a lovely atmosphere and a happy ending!